Thursday, September 16, 2010

Addendum to previous post

*sighs deeply*

I need to make a correction to my previous post. I used the word "block" because that is what ended up happening to my friend's walls. I had only intended to put them in the "Can't See Me" file for the duration it took me to recollect my happy thoughts.

Apparently you can't do that anymore. Once you do that, the person becomes blocked and then the only way to reconnect with them, is to resend a friend request. A lot of hassle and I think Facebook should make that feature work the way it used to, but that's a subject for another day.

So my friends got blocked. It was not what I intended, but is what happened. So at the time I wrote my previous post, I was aware of what had happened and used the word "blocked."

I explain it in detail now because one of the two friends took great offense at my blog post and accused me of lying in the message I sent to explain what had happened and why I now needed to send another friend request. Before you ask, of course it is the same friend who was making incorrect accusations the day before too, despite my words being visible in black & white.

I was finding the entire situation very distressing, as no one wants to argue with the people they care about. However, things have turned out fine with the friend who's Facebook page I had hijacked in bad form. My apology was accepted and we've since had a laugh about it. (In retrospect, I've known this friend much longer, since we were kids, and perhaps he simply has a better understanding of me.)

I fear the situation with my second friend may be approaching Lost Cause territory, which is a shame.

The moral of this story: do not hijack people's Facebook pages to carry on an argument and (I'm having this one made in to a tattoo that will go across my hands so that in the future if I'm tempted, I'll be able to see it before I start typing) NEVER get in to debates over religion or politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment