Sunday, June 27, 2010

Job Hunting via VH1

I saw this video the other day on VH1 that featured real unemployed Americans holding up placards that listed their credentials, skills, and commitments. One of them was an MIT graduate with a pretty lofty degree who couldn't find work, another was a man with five children he needed to take care of, and it just got more heartbreaking from there.

It struck a chord with me as I've been hitting the employment websites pretty hard myself of late, in anticipation of my current employer's end of term (which also means end of job for me and everyone else on staff). There's the hope that the Cruz/Espaldon team will win the election this year and that we'll be picked up for four more years, but even that means employment with an eventual expiration date.

Truth be told, I haven't had a "permanent" job since I graduated from college. Each job, and they've been great jobs, has been a temporary position, which is very stressful for a single mother, especially when you're on your own with no support system.

My brother, bless him, has been after me to relocate to the US mainland with assurances that everything will be fine. He thinks I'm such a talented radio announcer that stations will just fire their staff to make room for me. Its nice to have someone believe in you to that degree... misguided though it may be.

After watching that music video, I feel even less optimistic about finding employment anywhere else but in my own backyard. The video starts by stating that there are currently 14 million Americans unemployed... that's a heap of people, folks!

If you have a job, you really should treat it like its something special and protect it at all costs! I've always been a bit spontaneous but our current employment circumstance has shown me that this is not the time to be impulsive. These days, what's called for is perseverance and a lot of faith. It does pay off eventually and fingers crossed, I finally have a shot at an excellent payoff myself very soon.

I recently got a message from a media colleague alerting me to a job she'd seen advertised that she thought I would be perfect for. I read the advertisement and she's right! This is a dream job that would allow me to put all my talents and skills to their best use, plus sounds like it could be permanent. The last sentence in the ad said you could apply via email - I don't think I've ever applied for a job so fast in my life! Hahaha!

I did take the time to review my CV and rework my cover letter so I'm putting my best foot forward. Now I just have to wait for the call. What I'm wondering is if its inappropriate to say in an interview that there is no one in the world who wants this job more because there's no one who needs it more? Or is that too pushy?

Whaddya think? I really would like to get this job! I'd love any advice you'd like to share!!! And my advice to you if you're in the same predicament, job hunting and all that: stick to it, keep your chin up and your hopes higher! And pray!!! Prayer always helps! Like right now... I'm praying you have some great advice to give me to make sure I give a winning interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment