Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What my son doesn't know is... hilarious!!!

An incident occurred at our house yesterday which reminded me again of how much I need to stay on top of my son's in-house education! I was home sick with a really bad tummy ache, which had started the day before. I was in a lot of pain, but around 3:30 in the afternoon, the Menstrual Faerie showed up, waved her magic wand, and *presto* - I suddenly understood what all the pain had been about.

On the heels of this, I received a text message from a girlfriend telling me she hoped I felt better soon. In a round about way, I explained what had happened, ending with "Darn that Eve and her love of fresh fruit." My son saw the text and asked me to explain what I meant.

(Darn those kids and their inquisitive young minds...)

So I had to explain the story of Adam and Eve, which included several instances of my saying, "Son, we really need to get you enrolled in Sunday school." At the end of my Biblical explanation of why women have their periods, my darling son asks me, "Mom, if women get periods, then what do men get?"

Before I could come up with an answer (which was taking a long time because I was reminiscing on my once asking his grandmother the exact same question), he says, "Oh, I know. It must be sinus infections."

When I could breathe again after the outburst of laughter, I asked him what made him think that, since both men and women can get sinus infections. "Well, when I was taking the dogs outside earlier, my sinuses started hurting," he explains, rubbing his abdomen. I told him that wasn't where the sinuses were located, and though I still don't understand the connection between taking dogs outside and abdominal pain, he got it, but was still wanted to know what men "get" in relation to women getting their periods.

I told him exactly what his grandmother told me at his age: "Men get to have their balls hurt when you kick 'em."

He nodded his ten year old head sagely and said, "Yes, that makes sense."

God, I love that boy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment