Friday, June 4, 2010

You're HOW old? Did you know any dinosaurs?

I was filling out an employment survey the other day and one of the questions asked was whether or not I am over the age of 40. This question stumped me. I answered it, but have been left wondering what my answer could mean to my future.

If I was hiring for a management position and the candidate was over 40, would I look at that in a bad light? Shouldn't someone in their 40s have been with an employer already and for quite sometime? Or, would I look at it as an opportunity to acquire a seasoned professional?

(By the way, the reason I'm job hunting is because my last few jobs have all been temporary... so if you know of anyone interested in acquiring a "seasoned professional" on a permanent basis, let me know! But I digress...)

The question was disturbing... I don't tend to think of myself as being old until I'm asked a question like that. Recently, I received an invitation to join the "youth team" promoting a political candidate. Yet, when I looked at the materials, it clearly said that the age of team members was between 18 and 30. Yeah, I've been out of that category for quite some time.

Wow. So I guess I'm old now. I kinda figured there was a good chance that I was. Those gray hairs on top of my head are getting pretty ornery. (Seriously, they just show up whenever they want, without notice of any kind, and refuse to leave when asked, no matter how nicely.)

I still get along very well with young people... I find that helps keep the mind young, but I don't know what to do about occasionally having to tell someone when my birthday is. They say they don't believe me when I tell them how old I am... but I'm not so old yet that I believe them when they say that.

Well, at least not entirely!

No comments:

Post a Comment