Friday, May 28, 2010

Dirty Laundry

Yesterday, one of my life's darker secrets was splashed across the front page of both newspapers, after having been a top story on one of the news programs the evening before. My family's dirty laundry ended up being fodder for bored people with computers, who without knowing any of the facts, decided it was fair game to call my sister and I a long list of horrific names. I was called a slut, accused of engaging in sexual favors with the police department and also called evil, disrespectful, and money hungry - all by people who do not know me.

I have been told I need to get tougher skin, but truth be told, I am a wuss who takes it all to heart. Although, I don't think being upset over being publicly and unfairly attacked is out of line. My sister is much tougher than me, I've always wished I had her strength. The only silver lining of this entire event has been the people who told me they know me well and don't believe anything they've read.

To anyone who has read the stories and wondered, there is more to it than has been reported. It is a long, sad, and sordid tale that none of my siblings or I like to talk about. The truth will come out when this all goes to trial. It is sad that all along I have intended to have as little to do with this situation as possible... that was before I was publicly slandered and humiliated. I pray for God's blessing and that he will grant me the serenity that seems so far from my reach today. I pray that I will be calm and not wanting to repay the person responsible for this situation in the same manner - because she has far more to lose.

If you have read the papers, I ask that you keep an open mind. If you are familiar with my family's history, I ask that you keep an open heart for the person responsible. She is an addict who is in need of prayer and medical care. She is not going to win this case because her history of violence, drunken behavior, resisting arrest, and assaulting police officers has been well documented over the years. I feel sorry for her.

I would like to thank my colleagues in the media for not chasing this story too far. I am going to think positively that you have each decided that after 26 years, you know me well enough to know that I am not the type of person to engage in the actions described without due cause. I know that for some media organizations, they have not pursued the story because they are aware that my side is the truth, because they've experienced it firsthand while I was in their employ.

The person in question is in great denial and I hope that this final fall from grace will be enough for her to finally seek the help she so desperately needs. This situation affects my son and sadly, he, too, has also witnessed events firsthand. When he expresses his anger at the situation, I remind him that the person is ill and that we must pray for her so that one day, perhaps, we can all be together again. None of that changes the fact that my nearly eleven year old son is far wiser about alcoholism than he should ever of had to be.

May God bless us all.

1 comment:

  1. Cin, I read the story and the horribly slanted tone. Yes, rest assured that the first thing that came to mind is that's not Cindy and for those of us who have had to struggle with the addictions of a family member, it is not easy, nor does it make the pain and the angst we go through wishing their situation would change any less troubling. Definitely, prayed for you and your family afterwards and know that regardless of how hard this is -- you do have friends (and other family members) who love and care for you. Mike Blas

    ReplyDelete