Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Dream a little dream

A friend of mine passed away yesterday... he was only 58 years old, which I consider way too young to be moving on. John led a very full life in those few years, but still, he was far too young to leave us. I know that he had a lot more on his list that he hoped to accomplish in his lifetime, but when God calls you, it's time to go.

Another friend of mine also passed away less than a year ago. He was only 44 and, like John, seemed very healthy and vibrant. Roel's death was just as untimely, but hit close to home because he is younger than I am. Both men died of sudden heart attacks.

While speaking about John with media yesterday, I offered up copies of a story I'd written about John and his Pacific War Museum, which he created to honor his fellow Marines and the sacrifices they made for Guam during World War II. The story was published in Island Time magazine last year.

It didn't occur to me until this morning that I'd also written a story about Roel and his work as one of Guam's leading photographers, also for Island Time magazine. What freaked me out, was realizing this morning that both stories appeared in the same issue. I have a third friend who was also featured in that issue and have been wondering if I should casually call him up to make sure he's taking his vitamins and eating his Wheaties.

Instead, I have decided to take this for what it is, a coincidence but one I can learn from.

This morning, I went to the Guam Healthy Initiative office to sign up for the "Get up and move" program, which allows government employees to take three one-hour breaks each week to participate in a healthy pursuit, be it exercise or attending a wellness program. Another benefit we receive is that our health insurance company allows free gym membership to three different fitness centers as well as free participation in a wellness program run by a local clinic.

I have never had a job that offered such amazing incentives for living a healthier life and figure if I don't take advantage of this opportunity, I may well deserve the heart attack I am trying to avoid.

I think of my two dear friends, John and Roel, both of whom lived life to the fullest. I think about my dear cousin Mehrryn, who passed away at 17 years old, from cystic fibrosis, which runs in our family. I think of my friend Johnny, who passed away at 42 years of age.

It would be disrespectful to the memory of these people who all died so young not to live my own life to its fullest.

Another way to show respect to those we've lost too soon is to hold on to our dreams. In fact, we should chase our dreams to our dying day. John had a dream to build a museum where he could preserve an important part of Guahan's history so that future generations could learn about it, and through the sweat of his brow, he made that dream come true. I can't say that about myself.

As I've gotten older, I know I've set the dreams of my youth aside, citing the daily grind of making a living, caring for my son, and trying to be a grown up as the excuses for my choice.

But the truth is, living life to its fullest should include living the life you dream about. Our dreams keep us youthful, hopeful, and focused. So, I'm taking my dreams out of the closet, dusting them off, and letting them loose so I can chase them, catch them, and ultimately live the life I've always wanted.

After all, when you "rest in peace," shouldn't it be because you wore yourself living each day to its extreme?

1 comment:

  1. Great. Your last line is very poignant. My dad died 3 years ago at 55 and I struggle with the idea that we all leave. I think, I have to be strong and healthy for my kids who are not even in elementary school yet. I've worked with John's beautiful daughter, Christiana here in San Diego with CHE'LU, Inc. and I'm only learning more about John now. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete