Monday, May 24, 2010

Presenting.... Johnny Depp... wait. What???

I often say to people that "Presentation is everything," meaning that first impressions are important and food should have an appealing color combination when served. Obviously there are more applications than just those two, for example, a friend of mine recently decided to run for Senator and when it came time for her to have professional photos taken, I felt I had to say something about her hair.

Don't misunderstand me, my friend has glorious hair, its one of her best features, but her locks are also some of the wildest you'll ever see! She sports a headful of blond ringlets that burst forth from, framing her face in a cascade of curls. My friend has the kind of curls that other women pay hundreds of dollars for... but for the purpose of a professional "elect me as your Senator" type pictures, I thought she should try and wrassle it in to a bun or a style that was a bit more demure.

Do you see what I mean about presentation? Its the reason most of us keep our living rooms looking tidy while our bedrooms look like a typhoon just blasted through or why we take small bites of food on a first date instead of just shoving food down our throats as we normally would. But yesterday, I was thinking about some other popular adages, like "looks aren't everything," "don't judge a book by its cover," and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

This is all very confusing! Which is it? Is presentation important or only skin deep? And if the book has a crappy cover, is there a guarantee that the story inside will be worth the read? But most importantly, if looks don't matter, why can't I get a date? Or a mate? Is it fate? Or is he merely late? And if he is just late... will he look like the Mad Hatter when he finally arrives or (fingers crossed) Johnny Depp?

Wait. What was I going on about again? I went all Dr. Seuss on myself and forgot what I was talking about. Something about Johnny Depp...

No comments:

Post a Comment